Beanstalk campaign

Context

ClientMoshi Monsters

Role: Lead UX designer

Skills: Sketching, Wireframing, Prototyping


Project Brief

Create an in-game event to increase conversions

The Challenge

To prepare for the summer holidays, we were asked to come up with an aspirational campaign that would encourage both existing and lapsed players to come back to play Moshi Monsters again and again during the summer.

We wanted to produce a big game-wide event, with a dynamic story that kids would want to see through to completion. We also wanted it to have a prominent members-only component to encourage players to upgrade to paid membership.

We had a brainstorming session to come up with ideas for what the summer campaign could be. We got out the post-its, broke out into groups to ideate, and then came together to go through our favourite ideas.

Out of this session, there was a clear winner: a Giant Beanstalk sprouting up in the Moshi world. The campaign would incorporate a storyline about why the beanstalk was there and various levels with mini-games and quests.


What I did

My role was to come up with a concrete vision for how this would work in-game, produce user flows and wireframed screens that covered all the elements of the Beanstalk campaign, and then work with the team to build it.

The discovery phase of this project had to be done in a very short amount of time. I iterated rapidly through a number of various ways that we could tackle the beanstalk through our existing UIs, before presenting 3 different ideas to the rest of the team. In a working session, we ended up creating a hybrid of all three ideas, that worked best within our time, design and engineering constraints and with the game mechanics.

Importantly, I also created a collaboration workspace that was used to keep the core team up to date with the objectives of what we were building, and the latest flows, screens, sketches and drawings so that the entire team could see what we were doing.

Whilst we were firming up the flows, the visual designer and artists started work on the visual language and assets. Based on my omnigraffle flows and initial screens, we worked with the tech lead create basic working prototypes of the game, to test various types of interaction.

Especially challenging was the idea of having a progress bar that unlocked in-game content and was date-locked. There were a number of different ways that we could implement it, so I worked with the designer to make a number of prototypes which we tested with children and internally to see what felt the best. Utilising our weekly testing sessions with children, a clear winner was found that made it the most clear what content was unlocked when.


The Outcome

Within 4 weeks, we created the biggest and best in-game event that Moshi Monsters had ever seen, on an unprecedented scale. This included not only adding the in-game event, but also adding supporting assets and membership upsells throughout the game, a homepage takeover and marketing assets.

Some final in-game screenshots:

Early indications suggested that we had increased membership conversions, retention and new sign-ups during the weeks that the campaign was running.

%d bloggers like this: