Charity Hub Project

Context

ClientJustGiving

Role: UX designer

Skills: User research, Stakeholder interviews, Wireframing


Project Brief

Redesign charity landing pages

The Challenge

Every charity on JustGiving has their very own JustGiving landing page. This landing page is the charity’s shop window on JustGiving – this is where fundraisers, sponsors and donors can find out everything they need to know about the charity before taking a next action. In the case of potential sponsors and donors, these pages are crucial for the charities in terms of getting their messaging right, encouraging donations and captivating their audience.

The current landing pages
The current landing pages

These charity pages were a somewhat neglected part of the JustGiving website. They had basic functionality, offered no branding customisation, and didn’t allow the charities to really catch and captivate their audience. A redesign was therefore proposed for these charity pages.


What I did

I began this project by conducting a series of user and stakeholder interviews to understand frustrations and shortcomings of what we were currently offering, as well as requirements for what these new charity profile pages would be, from both a user and business perspective.

The stakeholder interviews involved 3 steps:

  • Talking with the JustGiving Charity Project Manager to draw out what we saw as important and why, to utilise our internal knowledge of the charity space.
  • Running phone interviews with charities to get a sense about the charities’ needs and wants, and their current frustrations with the limitations of the existing charity pages.
  • Face to face interviews with charities and their donors/fundraisers, in order to run through some early stage sketches and basic wireframes as I began to consolidate ideas and refine them, to see how well they served wants and needs. I used a series of lo-fi wireframes as talking points in progressive rounds of user interviews and began to see common themes, frustrations and opportunities that formed the basis of the redesign.

At this point, together with the Project Manager, we did a prioritisation exercise to distil down much of functionality, and a basic feature set was created.

A final round was conducted using higher fidelity wireframes. Again, this involved a number of face to face sessions walking through common tasks with paper prototypes and static wireframes onscreen to iron out any usability problems.


The Outcome

Informed by these rounds, I produced some high fidelity wireframes to present to business stakeholders and developers to discuss how the redesign could be best sliced into achievable chunks for development work.

%d bloggers like this: