Client: Moshi Monsters
Role: Lead UX designer
Skills: Sketches, Wireframes, Usability Testing, Data Analysis
Redesign the registration process for Moshi Monsters to improve account activation rates.
Moshi Monsters is an online children’s game, with over 50 million registered users all across the world, with a target market of children between 7-13. The premise of the game is that you adopt your own pet monster, enter the world of Monstro City and play games, solve puzzles and make friends.
Analytics showed that at each stage of the multi-step registration process, there was a significant drop-off rate.
The challenge for me was to improve registration so that more people actually got to the end.
What I did
I began by evaluating the existing registration process. There were a number of steps, and at each step there was significant drop-off. I identified some key problem areas where it was clear that drop-offs were being impacting.
I then created some sketches to illustrate to the rest of the team what could be changed.
This involved redesigning some key pages, including the initial registration form, as well as removing steps from the process. One of the biggest changes was removing a long animated sequence where you are taking through a question and answer session with your monster and finding other points in which to get that information instead.
I had initially designed a few different ideas for a new adoption process using very low-fidelity wireframes.
Together with the team, we picked these apart, and then I began some initial usability testing using prototypes I created. We went through several iterations of a new adoption process, revisiting based on these usability tests I conducted on various prototypes.
After thorough usability testing, we chose a final version to go forward with, a mishmash of lot of bits that we had usability-tested over the 2 weeks previously.
I worked together with Visual Design, front and back end developers extremely closely to ensure that the new registration process was seamless – as well as liaising heavily with Analytics to keep a firm eye on our new adoption rates and drop-offs.
Once released, the adoption rate skyrocketed from 36% to 50% (the highest adoption rate in 2 years).